Monday, June 28, 2010

Top 10 Things I Learned at Wine Camp

I really could have titled this post the Top 10 Things I Learned from DrinkNectar's Josh Wade because one day, at wine camp, I might have learned as much from him as I did from any of the breakout sessions. After a moment of reflection though, I realized how valuable that information he shared with me really was and decided to selfishly hoard (most of) it for myself. So, in my crazy Top- 1o style, I offer you The Top 10 Things I Learned at Wine Camp instead. I've tried to include the incredible teachers who enlightened me with their invaluable lessons, but periodically, the mass consumption of magnificent wine has fuzzied both my notes and my memories.

1. Don't just blog, write. (Steve Heimoff, SteveHeimoff)

2. Sometimes you're worthy in your unworthiness. (Hardee Wallace, DirtySouthWine)

3. You should have an "about me" page on your blog to draw people deeper into your site. (Josh Wade, DrinkNectar)

4. Unrequited love is the only kind that lasts. (Lettie Teague, lettieteague)

5. Think of wine as an additional condiment, like ketchup. (The Food Network's celebrity chef Jeffrey Saad, Passion For Food)

6. Acidity is a flavor, tannin is a feeling. (Overheard and beg to differ; acidity is a feeling too.)

7. A bad day in wine country is better than a good day in the office (William Allen, Simple Hedonisms)

8. Remember to use all of your sensory experiences when tasting wine. See it, smell it, feel it, taste it. (Meg Houston Maker, MakersTable) Shhhh, be vewy, vewey quiet… Can you hear the wine?

9. Walla Walla can mean water water in the native american lanaguage, but more traditionally it's defined as "Many Rivers."

10. What happens at Wine Camp, stays at Wine Camp.

4 comments:

6512 and growing said...

I loved how you paid close attention; the sign of a great writer.

Anonymous said...

Oh poor Tamara! What happens at wine camp gets tweeted, blogged and facebooked for a very very long time ;-)

You werent' there, but at the first #wbc, we are STILL talking about a certain bacon bandaid incidnet. mwahha

Sip with Me! said...

Thanks Rachel, I learned a great deal about what being a writer is and will continue to aspire to that calling.

Thanks for visiting Thea, Sorry I missed #WBC09 and even more so hearing about bacon bandaids a year later. You can tweet, FB and blog all you want, as long as it's not about me, cause I'm holding on to my rule there like a security blanket!!

Lisa Mattson said...

Hi Tamara,

Thanks so much for your kind note after WBC. It was so great to see you and to get to know you a little better. Sorry I didn’t get a chance to hang out with you more. Next year, I will only do the video diaries, so I have plenty of time to connect with people.

I’ve been on vacation since June 30, so my apologies for the delayed response. I will try to get up that picture on Facebook too. Thanks for friending me.

As I mentioned, our video blog is located at http://blog.jordanwinery.com. If you have any suggestions on content, I’d greatly appreciate the advice.

Thanks again for the wine!

Best regards,
Lisa Mattson
The Journey of Jordan: a wine and food video blog